Peek-A-Boo!!!

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Life With Max...

I brought my feathered friend, Max, home on July 3, 2011. I have had him now for 9 days and life has not been the same since! Max loves sweet potatoes. His favorite color is yellow. And though we were told that he doesn't talk, he surprised us!  He says "pretty bird" and if my boyfriend walks into the room, he'll repeat himself several times until Jon walks to the cage and pets Max's head.

Last Sunday, I had a talk with Max. I am his third owner in his short life. He is not even a year old yet. As one may expect, Max has some trust issues. He isn't sure as to what is going on or who he can trust. I sat at his cage, letting him sense my arm against his cage. I told Max that he didn't have to be scared anymore. I told him that I am his new Mommy and that I am going to take care of him and he is safe, and is at home. He seemed to understand me and relaxed.

Max is flighted, and has been able to exercise his wings inside the bedroom. Monday evening, I made his favorite treat--sweet potatoes. I peeled and boiled them, and placed them in a bowl and walked into the bedroom. Sitting down in front of the cage, I opened the cage door, and placed a perch at the door. The perch was laying on my leg, Max decided he wanted to investigate what was in the bowl and walked out of the cage, up the perch, stood on the bowl and proceeded to eat sweet potatoes.

However, something startled him. Max began flying around the room. He landed on about 5 different objects, including the door frame, the floor and the cedar chest, before he landed on my shoulder.

1 comment:

  1. Many parrot will bond with only one person. My Indian Ringneck "Nippet" only bonds with me but has turned since he became a father recently.

    Do you cook the sweet potatoes? My birds don't touch it.

    Clint
    http://parrotbreeding.blogspot.com/
    www.australianaviculture.com

    ReplyDelete